Preventative Care & Digital X Rays
Comfortable & Inviting Care
Regular checkups are just as important for the health of your mouth as they are for the overall health of your body. We recommend that patients schedule an appointment to have their teeth cleaned and examined by Dr. Ashley Price at least once a year. Those that are at risk for gum disease should be seen more frequently. The Price & Associates Family Dentistry offices are comfortable, inviting, and centrally located in the Lafayette area. We treat patients of all ages so call 337-988-4041 to schedule your appointment.
First AppointmentYour first appointment will consist of a comprehensive dental exam performed by your dentist. Subsequently, your periodic exam will follow but will still include the following:
- Examination of diagnostic x-rays (radiographs): Dental x-rays are essential for diagnosis of dental decay, cysts, tumors and bone loss. Our office is excited to offer digital x-rays to our patients which means less exposure to dental radiation as well as less development time. Digital x-rays allow our office to easily display via computer screen your radiographs which help aid in patient education allowing you to make an informed decision about your oral health.
- Oral cancer screening: Areas surrounding your face, neck, lips , tongue, throat, tissues, and gums are examined to check for any signs of oral cancer.
- Gum Disease Evaluation: A periodontal screening will be completed and we will evaluate the condition of your gums and bone for any sign of gum disease.
- Examination of tooth decay: All surfaces of your teeth will be evaluated for any signs of tooth decay.
- Examination of existing restorations: Previously restored teeth such as fillings, crowns, etc. will be evaluated.
Professional Preventative CleaningsYour cleaning appointment will include a dental examination and the following:
- Removal of calculus (tartar): Calculus is the hardened plaque that has been left on the tooth for some time and is now firmly attached to the tooth surface. Calculus forms above and below the gum line and can only be removed with special dental instruments.
- Removal of plaque: Plaque is a sticky, almost invisible film that forms on the teeth. It is a growing colony of living bacteria, food debris, and saliva. The bacteria produce toxins (poisons) that inflame the gums. This inflammation is the start of periodontal disease!
- Teeth polishing: Remove stain and plaque that is not otherwise removed with instrumentation.